Episode 14: Eternalism Versus Presentism (with Brit Brogaard)
Episode Notes and Links
A 3-D object, fully present in the now, walks into a bar where the bartender is a 4-D spacetime worm. The worm asks the object “Why so tense?” Further instantiations of such high-grade philoso-physical hilarity ensue in this, the third episode of the SpaceTimeMind podcast on the topic of time. Brit Brogaard is back by popular demand, and this time a Brogaard/Brown presentist team-up gives Pete “Erstwhile Eternalist” Mandik a run for his money…forever.
(The edited audio of this episode is drawn from the first half of the video, "Brit Brogaard on the Metaphysics of Time and the Neurophilosophy of Consciousness" viewable on theSpaceTimeMind YouTube channel.)
- Brit Brogaard's homepage
- Brit Brogaard - “Presentist Four-Dimensionalism.” The Monist 83 (2000), 341-356.
- Michael Moorcock - Behold the Man
- Comic adaptation of Behold the Man: http://bronzeageofblogs.blogspot.com/2014/10/behold-man.html
- The problem of temporary intrinsics: http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/identity-time/#2.3
- Episode 9: A Journey to the Edge of Hypertime
- Episode 12: The Fourth Dimension