Episode 10: All Up In the Global Workspace of Consciousness (with Bernard Baars)
Download: MP3 Audio (96MB)
Episode Notes and Links
Neuroscience and philosophy meet in the arena of consciousness when neuroscientist guest Bernard Baars joins philosopher hosts Richard Brown and Pete Mandik on the SpaceTimeMind podcast. Topics we tackle include (1) the interface between science and philosophy, (2) the Global Workspace Theory of Consciousness, (3) the relevance of quantum mechanics for phenomenal consciousness, (4) the possibility of machine consciousness, and (5) Ned Block’s thesis that perceptual consciousness overflows cognitive access. And that's just for starters! We’ve saved you a seat in the theater of consciousness, so pop open an ice cold can of qualia and enjoy the show.
(The video chat that this episode's audio is drawn from is viewable on YouTube.)
- Bernard Baars' academia.edu page
- A Conscious Brain - Bernard Baars’ blog
- "Debunking the Quantum Mind" @ the SpaceTimeMind blog
- Ned Block - “Perceptual Consciousness Overflows Cognitive Access"
- Richard Brown - “The Myth of Phenomenological Overflow”