Episode 30: Singularity Cinema: Ex Machina and Advantageous
Spoilers galore as philosophers Richard Brown and Pete Mandik wade up to their necks in spoilers to discuss recent cinematic depictions of (spoiler) artificial intelligence and (another spoiler) mind-uploading, especially in the 2015 films Ex Machina and Advantageous. DID WE MENTION THERE WILL BE SPOILERS? The first half of the episode largely focuses on Ex Machina and we shift to Advantageous for the second half. Also: Spoilers.
(Audio drawn from our video chat viewable @YouTube.)
- Ex Machina (film) @Wikipedia
- Turing test @SEP
- Knowledge argument @SEP
- Ned Block "The Harder Problem of Consciousness"
- How do you know you’re not a zombie? @YouTube
- Searle's Chinese Room Argument Against AI @YouTube
- Advantageous (film) @Wikipedia
- Personal identity @SEP
- Interview of Pete Mandik on mind uploading @hopesandfears.com
- Donna Hardaway’s A Cyborg Manifesto @Wikipedia